What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?which of these fair gambles gives your the greatest chance of winning?What are the odds of not being selected 2 years in a row when you have a 71% chance of winning each year?What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 49.95% chance of winning?What are the odds that the pattern, win lose lose, will happen 23 times in a row (69 rounds)?Roulette odds of winning using specific strategywhat's the odds of winning 3 times my money on the first try when I have a 50% chance of winning every bet?what are the chances of losing a 31.5% chance win bet 14 times in a row?PROBLEM: Probability and net sum from samplesWhat is the probablity of flipping 1024 fair coins without ever getting 11 of the same side in a row?Bingo-alike game Probability, $frac14$ chance… $20$ times losing in a row.
Why can't I see bouncing of switch on oscilloscope screen?
Roll the carpet
How much RAM could one put in a typical 80386 setup?
dbcc cleantable batch size explanation
Could an aircraft fly or hover using only jets of compressed air?
Are the number of citations and number of published articles the most important criteria for a tenure promotion?
Perform and show arithmetic with LuaLaTeX
Why are electrically insulating heatsinks so rare? Is it just cost?
Arrow those variables!
What does the "remote control" for a QF-4 look like?
Why does Kotter return in Welcome Back Kotter?
Rock identification in KY
How to move a thin line with the black arrow in Illustrator?
Decision tree nodes overlapping with Tikz
Modeling an IP Address
How does quantile regression compare to logistic regression with the variable split at the quantile?
"You are your self first supporter", a more proper way to say it
A case of the sniffles
A newer friend of my brother's gave him a load of baseball cards that are supposedly extremely valuable. Is this a scam?
Accidentally leaked the solution to an assignment, what to do now? (I'm the prof)
How does one intimidate enemies without having the capacity for violence?
What does it mean to describe someone as a butt steak?
Is it possible to do 50 km distance without any previous training?
Can I make popcorn with any corn?
What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
which of these fair gambles gives your the greatest chance of winning?What are the odds of not being selected 2 years in a row when you have a 71% chance of winning each year?What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 49.95% chance of winning?What are the odds that the pattern, win lose lose, will happen 23 times in a row (69 rounds)?Roulette odds of winning using specific strategywhat's the odds of winning 3 times my money on the first try when I have a 50% chance of winning every bet?what are the chances of losing a 31.5% chance win bet 14 times in a row?PROBLEM: Probability and net sum from samplesWhat is the probablity of flipping 1024 fair coins without ever getting 11 of the same side in a row?Bingo-alike game Probability, $frac14$ chance… $20$ times losing in a row.
$begingroup$
I have been looking for an online calculator to solve the below 2 mathematical problems, but I haven't yet found such a calculator. Thus, can someone answer these questions for me?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
edit: I mistakenly forgot to mention that I would like the reply answer to be in the equation of "1 in 1000" or "1 in 12,448" (or whatever the real answer is). I apologize for forgetting this important part.
I will appreciate any help I can get with the above 2 math questions.
probability
$endgroup$
add a comment |
$begingroup$
I have been looking for an online calculator to solve the below 2 mathematical problems, but I haven't yet found such a calculator. Thus, can someone answer these questions for me?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
edit: I mistakenly forgot to mention that I would like the reply answer to be in the equation of "1 in 1000" or "1 in 12,448" (or whatever the real answer is). I apologize for forgetting this important part.
I will appreciate any help I can get with the above 2 math questions.
probability
$endgroup$
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43
add a comment |
$begingroup$
I have been looking for an online calculator to solve the below 2 mathematical problems, but I haven't yet found such a calculator. Thus, can someone answer these questions for me?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
edit: I mistakenly forgot to mention that I would like the reply answer to be in the equation of "1 in 1000" or "1 in 12,448" (or whatever the real answer is). I apologize for forgetting this important part.
I will appreciate any help I can get with the above 2 math questions.
probability
$endgroup$
I have been looking for an online calculator to solve the below 2 mathematical problems, but I haven't yet found such a calculator. Thus, can someone answer these questions for me?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 10 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
- What are the odds of losing a bet 20 times in a row when I have a 25% chance of winning?
edit: I mistakenly forgot to mention that I would like the reply answer to be in the equation of "1 in 1000" or "1 in 12,448" (or whatever the real answer is). I apologize for forgetting this important part.
I will appreciate any help I can get with the above 2 math questions.
probability
probability
edited Oct 24 '17 at 5:10
user495020
asked Oct 24 '17 at 4:18
user495020user495020
11
11
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43
add a comment |
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
$begingroup$
First part:
Probability of losing 10 times in a row = $(1-0.25)^10 = (0.75)^10$
$$textodds = fractextfavorable outcometextunfavorable outcome$$
Here the probability of losing $10$ times in a row is favorable outcome, so
$textodds = frac0.75^101-0.75^10$
Similarly, for second part:
$textodds = frac0.75^201-0.75^20$
$endgroup$
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
add a comment |
Your Answer
StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
);
);
, "mathjax-editing");
StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "69"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);
else
createEditor();
);
function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);
);
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f2487009%2fwhat-are-the-odds-of-losing-a-bet-10-times-in-a-row-when-i-have-a-25-chance-of%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
$begingroup$
First part:
Probability of losing 10 times in a row = $(1-0.25)^10 = (0.75)^10$
$$textodds = fractextfavorable outcometextunfavorable outcome$$
Here the probability of losing $10$ times in a row is favorable outcome, so
$textodds = frac0.75^101-0.75^10$
Similarly, for second part:
$textodds = frac0.75^201-0.75^20$
$endgroup$
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
add a comment |
$begingroup$
First part:
Probability of losing 10 times in a row = $(1-0.25)^10 = (0.75)^10$
$$textodds = fractextfavorable outcometextunfavorable outcome$$
Here the probability of losing $10$ times in a row is favorable outcome, so
$textodds = frac0.75^101-0.75^10$
Similarly, for second part:
$textodds = frac0.75^201-0.75^20$
$endgroup$
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
add a comment |
$begingroup$
First part:
Probability of losing 10 times in a row = $(1-0.25)^10 = (0.75)^10$
$$textodds = fractextfavorable outcometextunfavorable outcome$$
Here the probability of losing $10$ times in a row is favorable outcome, so
$textodds = frac0.75^101-0.75^10$
Similarly, for second part:
$textodds = frac0.75^201-0.75^20$
$endgroup$
First part:
Probability of losing 10 times in a row = $(1-0.25)^10 = (0.75)^10$
$$textodds = fractextfavorable outcometextunfavorable outcome$$
Here the probability of losing $10$ times in a row is favorable outcome, so
$textodds = frac0.75^101-0.75^10$
Similarly, for second part:
$textodds = frac0.75^201-0.75^20$
edited Oct 24 '17 at 10:29
Andrew Tawfeek
1,8041722
1,8041722
answered Oct 24 '17 at 4:26
Sagar ChandSagar Chand
1,2731520
1,2731520
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
add a comment |
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
Sagar Chand, I have to admit I only understand very basic math. Thus, I do not understand the equations you have given. What I really like is for you (or anyone else) give an answer such as: "With a 25% chance of winning, your chances of losing 10 in a row is 1 in 35,782" (or whatever the real answer is). And the same applies to my question about losing 20 in a row with a 25% chance of winning.
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:00
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
probability of losing once is 0.75,so probability of losing 2 times is 0.75*0.75. Similarly proba of losing 10 times in a row is $0.75^10$ Is this clear?
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:04
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
But can you can you specifically tell me if it is "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 25,837 chance" or whatever?
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:16
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
$begingroup$
1 in $frac10.75^10$ chance for part a
$endgroup$
– Sagar Chand
Oct 24 '17 at 5:18
add a comment |
Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!
- Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!
But avoid …
- Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
- Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.
Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.
To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f2487009%2fwhat-are-the-odds-of-losing-a-bet-10-times-in-a-row-when-i-have-a-25-chance-of%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
$begingroup$
Ten: $$(1-0.25)^10 = 0.75^10 approx 0.0563 = boxed5.63%$$ How would you do twenty, given this?
$endgroup$
– Zubin Mukerjee
Oct 24 '17 at 4:22
$begingroup$
The Stattrek binomial calculator is such a calculator
$endgroup$
– pjs36
Oct 24 '17 at 4:27
$begingroup$
Thank you for your answer. But I really like the answer to be in the equation such as: "1 in 1000 chance" or "1 in 74,226 chance" (or whatever the answer is).
$endgroup$
– user495020
Oct 24 '17 at 5:27
$begingroup$
$5.63%$ is equivalent to "5.63 in 100 chance" then dividing this ratio by $5.63$ on both sides gives you a "1 in 17.76 chance" or, rounding to the nearest integer a "1 in 18 chance". Try doing it for the 20 games now using the same method as I did.
$endgroup$
– thesmallprint
Oct 24 '17 at 5:43